Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sometimes a Good Deed Goes Nowhere

I just helped somebody get his car out of the snow. I almost went to bed instead, but I have had a stuck-in-the-snow karmic debt hanging over my head since 2004 when I drove off a country road in Western Massachusetts. In retrospect, taking my usual dirt road shortcut to save 5 minutes was rather hasty. Amazingly, a truck with a winch rescued me before I had the chance to start digging.

Tonight, I was joined by a couple of passersby. We succeeded in helping the driver park his truck exactly where it had been parked all day. He had gotten stuck reversing out and it took three grown men to push him back to his starting position. He told me that he was instructed not to drive the Ford F-150 tonight but gave it a shot anyway since he had to get home and be back at work here in Lincoln Square at 6 a.m. the next day. I hate those kinds of lessons: don't buy Fords.

I already feel the karmic scale shifting or that could be the lateness of the hour. Note to self: buy a shovel and keep salt or sand in the car throughout the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment